Saturday, June 28, 2014

You got my ear wet! 6/26/2014

Last week, Kenny V. from Reel River Adventures extended an invite to fish the main stem of the Susquehanna River.  Kenny had some clients coming up the following day and wanted to pre-fish the river.  After thinking it over for about 2 seconds, I accepted the offer and spent the days leading up to 6/26 excited like a fat kid in a candy store.  Whenever the opportunity to fish the "main stem" presents itself, the words "NO" and "CAN'T" disappear from my vocabulary.

So, on 6/25, I met up with Kenny and we headed to the main stem.  Our plan was to pre-fish that night for a few hours before spending an entire day chasing bronzebacks.   Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate.  Thunder and lightning engulfed the mountains and we played it safe.  When the skies finally cleared we were able to get out and fish a few areas for about an hour.  We successfully boated 7 fish and knew the smallies would be "juiced up" the following day.  Before we decided to hit the sack for the night, we were joined by Dr. Chris Smith from "everything smallmouth."

Friday - 6/26:  We hit the water around 5:00AM.  It didn't take long to find a few fish.  Water temperatures hovered around 75 degrees.  Both the east and west sides of the river were chocolate milk.  However, the middle of the river produced some "slightly stained" water.  I almost started my very own WWE version of "yes, yes, yes ..."  Here are just a few of the fish from our day:



Most of today's fish came on various spinnerbaits and tubes.  Color didn't seem to matter much! 

     

Today was an OUTSTANDING day of fishing.  We landed 90 smallmouth bass and 1 walleye today.  At least 20 of our fish were 18 or 19 inches.  It's even better when you spend it with good company.  Thanks to Kenny V. from Reel River Adventures for taking Dr. Chris Smith and I out on the Susquehanna River.  If you are ever looking for someone to put you on the fish just check out his website: 

 http://reelriveradventures.com/

There were some great times during this trip.  One in particular was when Kenny had to use the bathroom.  Too bad we were on the river and there were no facilities available.  Sometimes you have to pull out your "portable purse" and handled your "business" like Yogi Bear.  Hey Boo Boo ... :)  Yep, that's a toilet seat in Kenny's right hand there.  Notice he's all smiles after unloading the canister of excrement.  


Or there was the close call when Chris inadvertently casted about an inch away from Kenny's ear.  All I heard was Kenny say "you got my ear wet!"  I had to double check these guys were keeping it "G" rated. 


Dr. Chris Smith's 20 inch walleye was a chunky gal!  Just the way many of us fishermen like em.  By the way, if you enjoy fishing for smallmouth bass please check out Dr. Smith out on Facebook at "everything smallmouth."  I'm sure you will enjoy his site and stories.  I've been checking them out since Friday.  



You always have to show the best "photo-bomb" of the trip and here it is:



Great day on the water with some even better company!  A special thanks goes out to my lovely wifey for baking us some cookies.  We had a few while stretching our backs during the hottest part of the day.  Man, life sure is tough when your catching nearly 100 fish in a day.  I'm almost embarrassed to say my forearms were cramping up at one point while I was backhanding an 18 inch smallie into the boat.  Haha!  Thanks for viewing my blog.  I hope you enjoyed this latest adventure of steeler fishin'






No comments:

Post a Comment